There’s nothing as comforting as the smell of something baking in the oven, am I right? These past few days have been a little on the cooler side of spring, which has had me craving comfort food. But since I’m working hard on my bikini body (I’m in week 8 of the Kayla Itsines BBG), I’m trying to reduce my sugar intake and make smarter choice when it comes to filling my belly. Especially when it comes to treats. I love my treats and allowing myself some here and there has helped me stay on track so I’ve been experimenting with healthier versions of some of my favourite recipes. Like these chocolate chip banana muffins, which give me the comfort of something from the oven, but are relatively low in sugar and fat, and are high on the flavour scale.
Besides the few (not to mention healthy) ingredients you need to make these muffins, they are so quick to whip up! Seriously, they probably take no more than 15 minutes to prepare, then about 25 minutes in the oven. So perfect for when your craving a sweet treat… and also a little dangerous now that I think about it!
These muffins are so moist! They are made with Greek yogurt (hello extra protein), olive oil (hey there, healthy fat) and honey instead of sugar. I also used super ripe bananas, which means that I was able to reduce the amount of honey used. A dose of dark chocolate chips add a touch of antioxidants into the mix. And there you have it, the perfect treat! These also freeze easily. Just place them in a sealed bag for a few months, and pop in the microwave for 30-45 seconds when you want a warm treat.
The BEST Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
Recipe adapted from Ambitious Kitchen
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 very ripe bananas (can also use frozen)
1/4 cup honey (can also use maple syrup)
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a muffin tin with muffin liners. I have fallen in love with parchment muffin liners, which don’t stick at all.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
3. In a blender, add the bananas, honey, vanilla, oil, egg, milk and yogurt, and blend until everything is smooth and creamy.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin tin and pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Cool for about 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Bloglovin, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat (@chiconthestreet)!