It’s the beginning of a new year! A second chance for a fresh start. Every year I make a few resolutions, and I’m proud to say that last year I stuck to the most important one – to exercise regularly, eat well and get into shape. And I did! The result, I lost 25 pounds and am in the best shape of my life! So what’s in store for me this year?
For starters, I’ve noticed a few things when it comes to new year’s resolutions. First, people seem to take on unrealistic goals. Either their resolutions are too extreme or vague (e.g. lose a lot of weight in one month), or they just take on too many goals and are unable to focus on all of them, ultimately failing. My solution- to take on fewer resolutions and focus entirely on them, thus successfully keeping them! Here are the things that I resolve to do in 2011.
1. Try out one new recipe a week. I love to cook but often get stuck in a food rut where I cook the same dishes over and over again. By discovering new foods, I’ll be able to discover new recipes!
2. Stop eating processed food. I eat pretty well already, but do get caught with the occasional frozen pizza in my freezer. This year I plan to take my eating habits one step further in the right direction.
3. Take more time for myself. I plan on taking time each week for myself, whether to cook, take a bath, whatever it is that allows me to be alone and do something that makes me feel good about myself.
4. Save a little more. I’m pretty good with living on a budget and saving money. But big plans require big bucks and so a little less spending and a little extra savings will make a big difference at the end of the year.
5. Be happier. Don’t sweat the small stuff. At the end of the day, most of the things that annoy us don’t even matter the next day. So be grateful for everything you have, those who love you and all the little things that make you happy (like the deliciousness of a Skinny Vanilla Latte from Starbucks, that first sip always makes me smile). And always find time in your day to have a laugh. You have a million reasons to smile!
Have a great 2011 everyone!
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]