Despite the calendar telling us spring has arrived, one look out the window says otherwise. Mother Nature has been enjoying the winter a little too much to let it go. But that won’t stop me from indulging my tastebuds with fresh flavours that define the warmer months.
Mango, lime and jalapeño – these flavours define summer and create the perfect dish to escape the cold, wet spring Mother Nature has decided to cast upon us, even if it’s just for one meal.
Agave Lime Chicken with Spicy Mango Salsa
Makes 4-6 servings
1.5 – 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breast
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
2 tsp lime zest
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/4 tsp onion powder
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag and pound to even out the thickness and help the chicken cook evenly. I used a heavy-bottom sauce pan and it worked wonders (even better after a stressful day).
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, then add to the ziplock bag with the chicken. Let marinate for at least 4 hours in the fridge.
3. Preheat your grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush pan with a little olive oil and place chicken on grill. If you prefer to cook on the BBQ, set heat to medium-high and cook with the lid closed. Cook 5-8 minutes on each side until perfectly cooked inside.
4. Serve topped with mango salsa (recipe below).
Mango Lime Salsa
1 cup mango, diced
2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
1 jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste
1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. The longer you let it sit, the more the flavours will infuse each other.
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]