It’s October and Thanksgiving is around the corner. That means one thing to me… it’s pumpkin time! I love anything pumpkin and get really excited to try new pumpkin recipes that go beyond the basic pumpkin pie. This chocolate chip banana pumpkin bread combines so many of the delicious reasons I love to be in the kitchen. The spice of pumpkin, the sweetness of a very ripe banana (use a banana with the skin almost black for more sweetness), the richness of melted dark chocolate, all come together to fill the house with comforting aromas synonymous with a beautiful fall day. Try it and you won’t be able to resist having a warm slice right out of the oven.
Chocolate Chip Banana Pumpkin Bread
Makes 1 loaf
1/3 cup mashed banana
1 cup light brown sugar
1 15-ounce can organic pumpkin purée
3 cups non-bleached all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a loaf pan with cooking spray and evenly spread the batter.
2. Whisk the mashed banana and the sugar. Add eggs one at a time, then pumpkin puree and combine.
3. Sift in the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg) in small batches, using a rubber spatula to gently fold and combine.
4. Fold in dark chocolate chips until just combine. Be careful not to over mix, it will make the batter thick).
5. Pop in the oven on the middle rack for about 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
6. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before handling (if you can resists… I couldn’t).
7. Slice that sucker up and devour!
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]