On cold winter Saturday morning, there’s nothing better than waking up to something baking in the oven. The comforting aromas fill each room in the house and, let’s face it, biting into a muffin that just came out of the oven is pretty awesome.
I was recently inspired by the #MadeWithChobani campaign (if you haven’t seen it on Instagram, I highly recommend you check it out) and decided that I needed to be a part of this movement. First, you need to understand my obsession with Chobani. It started one summer in New York when I first tried it and fell in love. Since then, whenever I’m in the US, Chobani is on my list of things to bring back to Canada with me. I even ask my beau to bring some back whenever he goes on his surfing trips. That’s how much I love this stuff!
I use Greek yogurt regularly in my cooking and baking to replace the fat content and add a boost of protein to my recipes, so this was an easy challenge. Saturday morning rolled around and I thought that blueberry muffins were the way to go. I hadn’t had muffins in a long time, and on a cold winter day, it seemed like the perfect treat. I found this recipe on the Chobani website and made a few changes. I didn’t have vanilla Greek yogurt so I made my own using plain Greek yogurt and a vanilla bean. I also replaced the brown sugar for coconut sugar since I prefer a more natural sweetener. The results were delicious – moist muffins without being overly sweet. Perfect for breakfast or as a yummy snack.
Blueberry Banana Almond Butter Muffins
Adapted from Chobani
Makes 12 muffins
1 cup Chobani 0% vanilla Greek yogurt*
2 ripe bananas
1/4 cup natural almond butter
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds
*If you don’t have vanilla Greek yogurt, you can make your own using plain Greek yogurt and adding half a vanilla bean. Scrape the inside of the bean with a knife and mix in the yogurt. Let it sit 30 minutes to really infuse the flavour and you’re all set.
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and line a muffins tin with paper liners. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, combine the Greek yogurt, banana, almond butter, egg, vanilla and coconut sugar. Give it a whirl until smooth. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
3. To the banana yogurt mixture, add the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder, baking soda, salt, blueberries and sliced almonds. Mix until all ingredients are combined.
4. Using an ice cream scoop (Makes the job so much easier), divide the batter between the 12 muffin liners and top each muffin with a sprinkle of coconut sugar. Pop in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes.
5. Transfer the muffins to a wire rack to slightly cool, then devour!
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]