The morning is my favourite time of the day. I wake up early (very early), and relish the time of day when most people are still sleeping. It’s quiet, it’s peaceful, it’s amazing. Did you know that some studies suggest that a healthy morning ritual can make you more productive for the rest of the day? So why not start a few healthy habits and make the most of the day. Myself being a creature of habit, I have my own morning ritual that I do every morning, weekday and weekend. It’s the only moment of the day when I can truly be alone with my thoughts, which also makes it one of the most important to me. Here are 10 ways that I like to start my morning.
1. Wake up early. This usually means 6 am during the week and 7 am on weekends. I like to rise and shine at the same time everyday but will “sleep in” a little on weekends to enjoy some cuddle time with my beau.
2. Sweat a little. I like to workout in the morning for at least 1 hour. It’s the only time of the day that I have found I can stick to my routine. During the summer, I’ll lace up and go for a run. It’s the perfect time since the city is still sleeping and there is less traffic in the street. Otherwise I roll out my mat and do a mix of HIIT training and Pilates. I seriously can’t go a day without some sort of physical activity in the morning.
3. Soothing shower. Rising early also means that I have the extra time for a relaxing shower. There’s nothing like a soothing shower and having the time to be mindful about it.
4. Lemon with warm water. Not only does it get your digestion going, it’s so energizing. I love the feeling of giving my body a clean slate. Some days I switch it up with my favourite Detox tea from Kusmi.
5. Positive intentions. Once I have my tea and I’m feeling so fresh and so clean, I like to take the time to set my intentions for the day. I do this with The Five Minute Journal. If you don’t know about this journal, I highly encourage you to check it out. Each page asks you to list three things you are grateful for, three things that would make the day amazing and a positive affirmation. Starting the day with such positivity really puts things into perspective and helps to set the tone for the rest of the day.
6. Make a healthy breakfast… and lunch. During the week, I take the time to make my lunch and prepare my snacks for the day. I do this mostly during the week to make sure I’m eating clean most of the time. Then, I prepare my breakfast which usually consists of a green smoothie, steel-cut oats or a Greek yogurt parfait. On weekends I indulge a little more with 2-ingredient pancakes (I’m wild like that!).
7. Cuddle time. My kitty Nico has started to join me in these morning rituals. He gets up with me, sits close by while I work out and jumps up on my lap for some cuddle time while I eat my breakfast. It’s a really nice way to start the day.
8. Read a little (or a lot). During the week, I take some time in the morning to read, whether it’s a book, newsletters I’m subscribed to or just the current happenings on social media. It’s my moment to find inspiration and set the tone for a positive day.
9. Plan my day. I take inventory of the things I have to do that day. Some things are more tedious than others, soI try to get those out of the way first to leave the rest of the day to more fun and creative projects.
10. Get dressed. It goes without saying that I get dressed before going to work. But I like to get dressed on weekends too, even if I’m not planning on leaving the house. I opt for clothes that are much comfier on weekends, but getting dressed just makes me feel like I can be more productive if I need to be. And if not, I’m ready for lounging or if someone decides to drop by unexpectantly.
Do you have any morning rituals? Share them with my in the comments below.