Those who know me well know that I have a weird obsession with kale. In fact, I’ve been know to eat a kale salad almost everyday for lunch, topped with a variety of colourful and delicious fruits and vegetables, like apple, pomegranate, radishes, red peppers… the list goes on. On a recent shopping trip, I came home with my usual bag of kale, not even realizing how much I still had left from a previous trip. Here I was with an abundance of kale. So what do you do when life hands you too much kale (as if there is a such thing), you make kale chips!
Spicy and crunchy, they are the perfect snack to satisfy your crispy craving. Olive oil and a little seasoning is all you need to transform the beautiful green vegetable into a satisfying snack.
Spicy Smokey Kale Chips
Makes 6 servings
1 bunch of kale
1-2 tbps extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Pinch of smoked paprika
1. Preheat oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Make sure your kale leaves are clean and dry. Wet leaves will prevent the kale chips from getting crispy. Using a knife, remove the thick stem from the centre, then tear the leaves into bite-size pieces.
3. Place the torn leaves in a large bowl and add 1 tbsp of olive oil and toss. You want the leaves to be lightly coated. If you feel you need more oil, add a small quantity at a time. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes, more if you like things extra spicy.
4. Pop the kale in the oven and bake for 8-10 minutes, until the chips start to turn brown on the edges.
5. Remove from oven, throw in a bowl and chow down.
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]