I have an obsession with caramel. It’s by far my favourite treat, but unfortunately, when you’re trying to cut added sugar from your diet, it’s the first thing to go (tragic, I know!).
During the time that I was mourning the loss of my favourite treat, I came across a few recipes that offered the same amazing gooeyness of caramel, without all the nasty sugar and other yuckies you would normally find caramel. Rejoice! I started testing out recipes and you know what? This might be even better than the real thing! It’s made with natural ingredients that your body will love you for and is completely vegan, raw and gluten-free. Which also makes them guilt-free in my book. To make sure that they were just as good as the real deal, I tested them out on my beau and he loved them. Success!
Homemade Chocolate Turtles
Makes 10 treats
10 Medjool dates, pitted
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1 tbsp coconut oil, softened
2 tbsp almond butter
1 tsbp pure maple syrup
1/2 cup coconut oil, softened
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1. In a food processor using the “S” blade, place all the ingredients for the caramel except for the pecans. Blend until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape down the sides. You’ll know it’s done when the mixture forms a ball.
2. Transfer the mixture to a piece of plastic wrap. Wrap it up and place in the freezer for 2 hours to set.
3. Once the mixture is set, remove from the freezer and start rolling the caramel into one-inch balls and top with a pecan, pressing down to flatten the caramel. Place each Turtle on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and pop back in the freezer while you make the chocolate.
4. For the chocolate, combine all ingredients in a bowl. If the mixture is too stiff, place in the microwave for 10 seconds. You are looking for a thick, yet workable consistency.
5. Take each turtle and roll in the chocolate mixture to cover entirely. Place them back on the baking sheet and pop back in the freezer for about 30 minutes to set.
Note: I found that the best way to store these babies is in a resealable container in the freezer. Keeping them in the freezer also helps them keep that gooey consistency that’s so delicious.