A little while ago, I came across Koukla Delights, a delicious snack made with coconut and vanilla similar to macaroons, except that they are raw and vegan. I’ve been so obsessed ever since! One look at the ingredients and you can see why – coconut, almonds, maple syrup, vanilla extract and Himalayan salt (all organic). So of course my next thought was “how hard could these be to make?” Turns out, it’s actually pretty easy.
These little bites are just so perfect for the upcoming holidays too. Just look how cute they are! They kind of look like little snowballs. You can also get creative by adding cacao powder, cacao nibs or even red and green sprinkles (although they won’t be completely vegan if you do).
They are super easy to whip up and take so few ingredients. Since they only need 5 ingredients, my suggestion would be to use the best quality you can afford. Quality means everything when it comes to food (and shoes… and bags… and clothes… and skin care). Also, it’s best to store these macaroons in the fridge or the freezer since my version contains coconut oil which could melt at room temperature.
Raw Vegan Coconut Macaroons
Makes 12 macaroons
1 cup unsweetened shredded organic coconut
3/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a medium bowl, combine the coconut and almond flour and mix well.
2. In a small bowl, combine the coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk to mix well.
3. Pour the coconut oil/maple mixture over the shredded coconut/almond flour mixture and combine well. I like to use my hands for this since this is where things get a little sticky.
4. When everything is well combined, use a tablespoon to portion out the macaroons. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Continue until all the macaroons are done.
5. Place in the freezer for about 30 minutes, just to give them time to set.
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]