Muffins are supposed to be sweet… or are they? One day while visiting my mom, she asked me if I wanted to try these muffins that she had made. “They are not sweet”, she said. I sat there quiet, probably with a dumb look on my face.But one bite was all it took to convince me that savoury muffins are absolutely amazing. I asked for the recipe, which has been sitting in my inbox for exactly one year. For some reason, the thought of these little savoury bites popped into my head very randomly. And so the seed was planted in my mind, I have to make these muffins.
They are so light and fluffy, and make the perfect breakfast or side to a soup or salad. If you can make your own roasted red peppers, then I highly recommend that you do since the roasted flavour really comes through.But in a pinch, jarred red peppers will do the trick. I love to make a batch and toss them in the freezer to have on hand anytime. I just quickly pop them in the oven for a few minutes while I’m getting ready for work and BAM! fresh muffins anytime!
Savoury feta, basil and red pepper muffins
Adapted from A la di Stasio
Makes 12 muffins
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
3/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped into 1/4″ cubes
3 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 extra-virgin olive oil
1 large egg
1. Preheat your oven to 375°. Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In another bowl, combine the feta cheese, red peppers and basil. Set aside.
4. In yet another bowl, combine the buttermilk, olive oil and egg, making sure to mix well.
5. In the bowl with the flour mixture, create a well at the centre and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Mix carefully until just combined. Add the feta mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Using an ice cream scoop, divide the mixture evenly in the muffin tin. Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes.
7. Carefully take out of the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
[All photos are my own and not to be used without permission]